I always thought I would raise my children speaking French, but alas, it’s a bit difficult to do when you are not a native speaker or living in a French speaking community. Over the years, I have decided that learning Spanish may be the best for them.
I use some apps on my e-pad for pronunciation and vocabulary building, but wanted something more engaging. So when I was contacted by TheLanguageBear.com to review two of their children’s language learning books, I immediately said yes! I received two books: Bosley Sees the World and Bosley Goes to the Beach. In exchange for these books, I am providing this review.
And the review is GREAT! We love these books. The stories are cute, bright, colorful, and fun. The bear character, Bosley, is cute and full of adventure!
I really love the set up of the book. My favorite features:
- the English and Spanish versions of the book are side by side (or one after the other depending on the page layout) so you can compare phrases and expressions in the two languages
- there are also highlighted words to aid in vocabulary development
- the books are bright and fun to read
- the books include a glossary of key vocabulary at the end
- Spanish is only one of MANY languages that you can choose to learn through the Bosley books
My kids and I enjoy reading these and learning Spanish together.
If I have one complaint it is that there is no pronunciation guide. I am afraid that I might be teaching my kids Spanish with a French accent! But have no fear. I found a free online audio program that pronounces and translates between English and Spanish so we’re all set. I just type in the Spanish version of the Bosley story and learn how to sound it out!
One other positive is the actual website. TheLanguageBear website contains useful articles and information on how to teach and learn foreign languages. I really enjoyed the article “Common Misconceptions About Raising Bilingual Children” which debunks the five main misconceptions that are generally believed about teaching small children a second language.
The website also includes great articles on language delays, learning a second language, and a post on the Top 10 Ways to Encourage Second Language Learning.
I am fully committed to teaching my children Spanish, and I’m so glad to have fantastic tools like these books at my fingertips.
Bonus – right now The Language Bear is offering a free copy of Bosley Sees the World – just for signing up for their newsletter! How great is that?
So head on over and get yourself your free copy! Let the language fun begin!
As a reminder, I received two books in exchange for my review!
Latest posts by katbiggie (see all)
- What to say when a baby dies ; words of comfort - October 31, 2019
- Try listening to her, not fixing her – October 15th - October 15, 2019
- Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Book Bundle - October 3, 2019