I had the pleasure of attending the Charlotte Gluten & Allergen Free Expo Event this past weekend as a blogger.
I am so glad I made the trip!
It was simply A-MA-ZING.
As someone who loves food, (and I mean loves food!) it was really painful for me to have to give up some of the foods I loved most when health issues forced me to go gluten free. Like sandwiches and pasta and cookies. I love sandwiches. And cookies.
Of course, it is much more painful for me to continue eating these foods. The impact gluten has on my body is certainly measurable through inflammation and severe swelling my joints, brain fog, digestive issues, severe fatigue, and more.
So, the gluten had to go.
Thankfully, over the last few years, companies have been working really hard to find ways to make delicious products so that those with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity can still enjoy some of our favorite “luxury” foods.
As I mentioned, I attended in the official capacity as a blogger. I had the opportunity to talk to many of these vendors and gather full size products in exchange for reviews. I can’t wait to tell you about all of the products I tried.
My sister and I both really liked Red Clay Gourmet Pimento Cheese. True, this is not exactly a “gluten free” food per se – it’s naturally gluten free, but when you eat pimento cheese, you usually eat it on some type of cracker, bread, or other snack, right? We stood at the table and chowed down on some pimento cheese in a variety of flavors on gluten free crackers.
Out of the four options, I chose the Goat Cheese & Sun Dried Tomato to bring home for my review, and I wasn’t even in the door all the way before I was ripping the lid off of the container.
The first day we snacked on it with chips.
Then the second day, I had the urge to eat a sandwich.
I gift to you my recipe for:
Gluten Free Grilled Pimento Cheese and Tomato Sandwich!
It was so good, I had to bite it before I remembered to take a picture! (Sorry! Not really!)
- coconut oil
- 2 slices of gluten free bread (I used Udi’s)
- Red Clay Gourmet Pimento Cheese
- tomato slices
- Spread coconut oil on your bread and place it on the grill pan
- Spread one layer of pimento cheese on each slice of bread.
- Add tomato slices
- Flip one piece of bread onto the other
- Let the sandwich warm through on low heat
A little about this cheese. It is made from hormone-free cheeses from small, sustainable dairies. The eggs are cage free and there are no artificial preservatives.
And it tastes GOOOOOOOD.
The Gluten & Allergen Free Expo was really an amazing event. And guess what? The event happens all over the country.
If you live near any of these cities, be sure to check it out!
Admission to events includes:
- FREE Product sampling and sales from many gluten & allergen free vendors
- FREE lectures from well known members of the gluten-free community about gluten and allergen-free living
- FREE cooking demonstrations that invite you to explore the world of gluten-free cooking
- FREE gift bag to tote around samples and purchases
Latest posts by katbiggie (see all)
- What to say when a baby dies ; words of comfort - October 31, 2019
- Try listening to her, not fixing her – October 15th - October 15, 2019
- Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Book Bundle - October 3, 2019